How to Install Outdoor Wall Lighting for Home Improvement
When it comes to home improvement projects meant to improve your home’s appearance, knowing where and how to install outdoor wall lighting can make a huge difference. Outdoor wall lighting can also make a significant difference in your home’s safety and overall value. Not only will updating your outdoor lighting enhance your outdoor living spaces but it will also add a little curb appeal to your house.
When it comes to learning how to install outdoor wall lighting, there are several factors and options to consider. Today, Right Electrical Services, LLC is here to help you find and install the perfect lighting for each of your outdoor spaces. Your local Raleigh electricians are available to perform outdoor wall lighting installation. Give us a call today at (919) 359-1017 to book your appointment!
Types of Outdoor Lighting
Let’s talk about wall sconces. Any light fixture that you attach to a wall is called a sconce. Sconces provide beauty, interest, and reliable illumination for your home’s exterior appearance. There are three different types of sconces to consider when choosing the best outdoor lighting for your home. These include electric, battery-powered, and solar sconces. Let’s take a closer look at each type.
- Electric sconces: Electric sconces are hardwired into your home’s electrical system and are controlled via a light switch. For homeowners looking for reliable, permanent outdoor lighting, electric lighting can create a beautiful ambiance in your backyard.
- Battery-powered sconces: For homeowners that don’t need exterior lighting but don’t want to drill holes into their home’s siding and can’t rely on solar panels to charge each day, battery-powered sconces are by far the best solution.
- Solar sconces: Finally, solar sconces are by far the most environmentally friendly and cost-effective. Best of all, they’re very easy to install! Simply hang your solar sconces where you want them- there’s no need to run wires through the wall or drill holes. Most solar sconces use a light sensor to automatically power on the lights upon the setting of the sun.
Different Styles of Outdoor Wall Lighting
For many homeowners, choosing the style of sconce for your outdoor space can be an overwhelming task. This because there are hundreds upon hundreds of different styles to choose from, and selecting the right outdoor light fixtures will likely make all of the difference in your home’s exterior spaces. The best way to choose the right style for your home is to consider your home’s landscaping, materials and colors, and, of course, your own personal style.
Let’s look at some examples of some general outdoor wall sconce styles:
- Hanging lanterns: Hanging lanterns come in various finishes and styles. This makes them a versatile choice for your home’s outdoor wall lighting. They are also a classic choice in that they enhance the architectural style of nearly any home. It should be noted that these types of lights should be placed very carefully as they are known for jutting out from the wall considerably. This means they can cause a bumping hazard if installed in the wrong place.
- Pendant lights: Pendant lights are trendy and attractive and, similarly to hanging lanterns, they must also be placed carefully to avoid bumping your head on them after installation.
- Flush wall sconces: The attractive thing about flush wall sconces is that they allow you to shine light either vertically or sideways, illuminating the surrounding area while adding visual interest to the surrounding space. Best of all, these lights are flush with the wall so there’s no having to worry about a bumping hazard with this particular style.
- Torch lights: Torch lights are attention-grabbing lights that have been growing in popularity in recent times. These lights are designed to resemble old-fashioned torches such as those you may see in an old-timey castle. If you want your outdoor wall lighting to double as conversation pieces that you can show off to your friends, torch lights are definitely the way to go.
How to Install Electric Outdoor Wall Sconce Lighting
Upon selecting the perfect light fixtures for your outdoor wall lighting as well as the right location for them, it’s time to install them. It should be noted that battery-powered and solar lights require very little setup. For this reason, it’s best that we focus on how to install outdoor wall lights that will be wired directly into your home’s electrical system.
If you will be installing sconces where there is no existing wiring, always call a certified electrician. An electrician can easily install wiring for new outdoor wall sconce lighting fixtures using a few different methods. The exact method used will depend on the existing wiring to which the new light will be added. As an example, an electrician may add a light fixture mid-circuit by splicing wires and adding an additional junction box. If there’s already a light nearby, however, the new light may be pigtailed into the existing light fixture box.
If you’re replacing old outdoor wall sconces, the installation process will be much simpler. In this case, simply turn off the circuit breaker that delivers power to the light fixture, disconnect the old one, and reverse the same steps to install your new lighting fixture. It should be noted that one tricky part of installing exterior lights is ensuring that the gasket is flush with the siding to prevent water from leaking into where the wires are. As a rule of thumb, when in doubt, call your local electrician.
Count on Right Electrical Services, LLC to Install Outdoor Wall Lighting!
If you find that you need the help of qualified professional electricians to pick out the right light fixtures for your outdoor space, our Raleigh electricians can help! Our certified electricians will be happy to help you select the right sconces and will perform expert installation. Call us today at (919) 359-1017 or book an appointment online today! We look forward to working with you on your latest home improvement project.