Energy-Efficient Lighting Options For Your Home
Are you looking for the most affordable lighting options for your home but don’t want to skimp on lighting quality? Right Electrical Services is devoted to helping our customers select the best energy-efficient lighting options for their homes so we’ve selected a few great options for you to consider!
It Pays to Pinch Pennies
Did you know that the average American home dedicates around 5% of their overall energy costs to lighting? If you’re looking to reduce energy costs, the most valuable method is to address your lighting costs.
Unfortunately, the most common lightbulbs on the market are traditional incandescent bulbs and while they produce plenty of light, they also burn a hole in your pocket. Luckily, there are other options to consider.
Energy efficient lighting comes in many forms and, at first glance, you may be overwhelmed when determining the best fit for your home. Right Electrical Services is here to help! Let’s take a look at a few of your best bets when it comes to energy efficient lighting.
Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFL’s)
Compact Fluorescent Lamps, also known as CFL’s, use much less electricity than your average incandescent light bulbs. How much? It is estimated that a CFL uses a whopping 50-80% less energy than traditional light bulbs.
Though you may be put off by the slightly more expensive price-tag associated with CFL’s, you shouldn’t let this deter you! While you may pay slightly more for the bulb itself initially, your reduced energy costs will more than pay the difference. To add to the long list of benefits that CFL bulbs supply, they are also known to last up to 10 times longer than traditional bulbs.
CFL’s also offer a wide range of customization options as they are available in a variety of color options (ranging from warmer yellow tones to white) and shapes. Let’s take a look at the various shapes available as well as their unique benefits.
- Standard Lamps: CFL standard lamps are designed to closely resemble the appearance of more traditional A-shaped bulbs. If you’re looking for a CFL option that provides a similar lighting effect as frosted traditional bulbs, a standard lamp shape is your best option.
- Candelabra: If you’re looking to outfit fixtures such as chandeliers, these torpedo-shaped bulbs are your best bet. They are screw-in bulbs by design and are easily applied.
- Spiral Lamps: Spiral lamps offer a small fluorescent tube that are spiral in shape. This shape is available in either a covered or exposed tube style. This shape is commonly used in security or commercial lighting.
- Globe Lamps: Globe lamps should be used in the case of applications like vanity mirrors in your home. Globe lamps are especially useful in reducing energy costs in their application as vanities typically generate large amounts of heat.
- Flood Lamps: Similarly to their traditional bulb counterparts, CFL flood lamps are designed for outdoor track lighting and recessed lighting.
Light Emitting Diodes (LED’s)
Light-emitting diodes, known as LED’s, are one of today’s most energy efficient lighting options. They last an amazing 15-20 times longer than traditional light bulbs and use an average of 25-30% less energy than halogen bulbs.
You can easily replace any of your current traditional bulbs with LED bulbs as they are available for use in compatible shapes and types. One of the added benefits to LED’s comes in the form of convenient features such as dimming, motion detection, and even daylight sensors.
LED’s are, again, more expensive than traditional bulbs but for very good reason. Consider LED’s and cut your energy bill in half.
Count on Right Electrical For Your Lighting Installation Needs
Now that you know how to save money on your energy bill with different lighting options, give Right Electrical Services a call for lighting installation. We’ll do the hard part for you and help you start saving money today.